BOOM – The Travelin’ McCourys win the GRAMMY for “Best Bluegrass Album.” In the acceptance speech Rob McCoury thanked Del and Jean McCoury, saying “without them, none of this would have happened.”
The Travelin’ McCourys are comfortable blazing a trail of their own. Ronnie and Del McCoury spoke to Billboard about the nomination and the start of their band– read full interview here.
“The album definitely shows what we’ve evolved into as a band. And, it’s a pretty good representation of what’s happening with the whole genre,” says Ronnie. “The old bluegrass material is something I love but it’s been done many times. We’re forging ahead with our own sound. That’s what you have to do to make it all work.”
The McCoury brothers, Ronnie (mandolin) and Rob (banjo) were born into the bluegrass. Fiddler Jason Carter, bassist Alan Bartram, and latest recruit Cody Kilby on guitar assembling a group that can drive their unique sound forward and push the bounties of their music.
The band is the only group to have each one of its members recognized with an International Bluegrass Music Association Award for their respective instruments.
Their father, Del, is among the most influential and successful musicians in the history of the genre. Years on the road with dad sharpened their skills so precisely that they are on the cutting edge and innovation in 21st century music.
On February 13, The Travelin’ McCourys will celebrate Del McCoury’s 80th birthday at the “Grand DEL Opry” alongside Marty Stuart, Sam Bush, Bela Fleck, Vince Gill, Old Crow Medicine Show, Dierks Bentley, and many more.
Catch them at Winter WonderGrass, DelFest, High Sierra Music Festival, ROMP, Rhythm & Roots, and others.
After the Opry, they hit the road for tour including a bunch of The Grateful Ball dates, with Jeff Austin Band.
Upcoming tour dates:
- February 13 – Nashville, TN – Grand DEL Opry
- February 22 – Panama City Beach, FL – Bourbon, Beer, & Butts
- February 23 – Huntsville, AL – Tangled String Studios (early & late show)
- February 27 – Omaha, NE – The Waiting Room**
- February 28 – Springfield, MO – Outland Ballroom**
- March 1 – Louisville, KY – Zanzabar**
- March 2 – Cincinnati, OH – Memorial Hall OTR**
- March 3 – Ferndale, MI – Otus Supply
- March 5 – Benton Harbor, MI – The Livery**
- March 6 – Cleveland, OH – Beachland Ballroom & Tavern**
- March 7 – Bloomington, IN – The Bluebird Nightclub**
- March 29-31 – Olympic Valley, CA – Winter Wondergrass
- **with Jeff Austin Band; together presenting The Grateful Ball
The Travelin’ McCourys is a brilliantly executed set overflowing with inventive style, stellar musicianship, and, of course, plenty of burnin’ grass. A culmination of decades mastering their musical craft.
From Bill Monroe and Jerry Garcia, a sound that is revolutionary, deep and soulful that only belongs to the Travelin’ McCourys.
For more information contact: Maria Ivey – firstname.lastname@example.org